Knowing the signs and causes of electrical related problems is your first step in practicing fire safety at home. Over 4,000 people in the U.S. lose their lives and 20,000 people are hurt in home fires annually. Most home fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring and other electrical related problems that arise over time. By following some simple guidelines, you can reduce or even eliminated any fire risks in your home.
Fire Safety Tip # 1 – Don’t “Do-It-Yourself”
Many fires at home are caused by improper installation of electrical devices. Loose connections and improperly connected switches and outlets are the common causes of electrical fires. Using a penny to tighten a fuse and water leaks are also some causes. Switches, outlets and cables can overheat and start a fire. When electrical receptacles get wet, they can cause short circuits and start a fire. They can also cause shock due to electrocution.
All electrical work should be done by professionals no matter how simple the job may seem. Most electrical fires are caused by electricals that were just put together by homeowners.
Fire Safety Tip # 2 – Be Careful With Your Bulbs
Light bulbs can get hot and ignite flammable or combustible materials that are nearby. Lamps should always have shades so if they topple over, they will not burn what they will fall on such as carpets, sofas, chairs, beds or curtains. Make sure that the light bulbs of the lamps are within the prescribed wattage to avoid any overheating. Fabrics like clothes or towels should never be placed on top of lamp shades because they can trap heat and eventually burn.
There are many “cool” CFL and LED lights available in stores. They used to be available only in white but now they come in different color temperatures. Consider these types of lights in your next bulb replacement because they not only save money but they also consume less electricity.
Fire Safety Tip #3 – Be Extra Careful With Extension Cords
Make sure that extension cords can handle all the devices that are plugged into it. They can get warm inside especially when they are overloaded. Also make sure that they do not run under rugs, inside walls or floors. Extension cords are not meant to be used permanently. They are meant to be only temporary remedies. Consider calling an electrician to put in extra sockets in places where they are needed most.
Things You Should Know To Prevent Electrical Fires
It would be best to observe your electrical situation in order to prevent the occurrence of a fire. Sparking outlets are signs of lose connections. Flickering lights may mean that the connection is lose or the circuit is overloaded. Warm electrical cords mean that the cords are underrated or defective. It is important that you replace cracked or stiff electric cords. When power supply often trips, look into the fuses and circuits. When bulbs burn out fast, it means that the socket cannot handle them. Many electrical fires can be prevented when fire safety measures are observed at home. A good way to prevent electrical fires is to use Fm-200 gaseous fire suppression, click on the link to learn more.